Saturday, November 29, 2014

Zurich

Shakyamuni’s Mission
♦ First teaching of the Law at Varansi ♦
The Three-Part Vehicle

deciding how to preach
encouragement from the brahma kings


When I first sat on the wisdom throne,
looking at that tree and walking about it
during thrice seven days,
I pondered such matters as these;
The wisdom which I have obtained
is wonderful and supreme,
but all creatures are dull in their capacities,
pleasure-attached and blind with ignorance.
Such classes of beings as these,
how can they be saved?

Thereupon all the Brahma kings
and Lord Shakra of all the gods,
the four heavenly beings,
with hundreds of thousands of myriads of followers,
respectfully saluted with folded hands,
entreating me to roll the wheel of the Law.

Then I pondered within myself:
If I only extol the Buddha-vehicle,
all creatures, being sunk in suffering,
will not be able to believe this Law,
and by breaking the Law through unbelief
will fall into the three evil paths.
I had rather not preach the Law,
but instantly enter nirvana.

shakyamuni remembers how
enlightened ones before him
tactfully performed – the three-part vehicle


Then, on remembering what former buddhas
performed by their tactful powers,
I thought, The Way which I have now attained
I must preach as the three-part vehicle.

While I was pondering thus,
all the buddhas in the universe appeared
and with sacred voice, cheered me in response:
Excellent! Shakyamuni! the first of leaders!
Having attained this supreme Law,
thou art following after all the buddhas
in using tactful powers.
We too have all attained
this most wonderful, supreme Law,
but for the sake of the many kinds of creatures,
we divide and preach it in three vehicles.
Those of little wisdom delight in petty laws,
not believing they can become buddhas,
hence we by tactful ways
divide and preach the natural results.
Though we also proclaim the three vehicles,
it is only for teaching the bodhisattvas.

Know, Shariputra!
hearing the voices of the Holy Lions,
profoundly clear and mystic,
I saluted them, Hail, enlightened ones!
and again reflected thus:
Having come forth into the disturbed and evil world,
I, according to the enlightened ones’ behest,
will also obediently proceed.

Having finished pondering this matter,
I instantly went to Varañasi.
The nirvana-nature of all existence,
which is inexpressible,
I by tactful ability preached to the five bhikshus.
This is called the first teaching of the Law,
whereupon was heard the sound of Nirvana,
and also the separate names of Buddha,
of Law, and of Sangha.
From distant kalpas onward
I have extolled and indicated the Law of nirvana
for the perpetual end of mortal distress;
thus have I continuously spoken.

No comments: